Drivers line up for rally weekend
AS revheads get ready to descend on Gallangowan this weekend, rally drivers are making sure their cars are tuned ahead of the final round of the Queensland Rally Championship.
Goodyear AutoCare Gallangowan Clerk of Course Sheridan Hetherman said 57 cars had entered the competition before registrations closed last week.
“It’s quite large, the year has seen fields of about 30,” she said.
Fifteen people have registered their interest in taking part in the come-and-try day on Friday.
“They’re all very excited.”
Ms Hetherman said at least one person from the Gympie region would be trying the sport for the first time after seeing the event advertised.
Drivers will use their own cars during the come and try event.
Saturday will see competing drivers taking off from Gallangowan oval at noon to set their start places.
The main action then kicks off at 1pm.
Drivers will race in and around Gallangowan State Forest until about 8pm.
Ms Hetherman said to get to the oval from Gympie head through Brooyar and take Coolamon Road then turn left.
If you are keen to check out the action there are a few things organisers have asked you to do.
- Park your car sensibly so that it will not obstruct competitors, service crews or other spectators;
- Do not try to emulate rally drivers;
- Drive carefully to and from spectator viewing areas;
- Be ready to give way if necessary on narrow stretches of road;
- Do not light fires or smoke in forests;
- Do not smoke near a vehicle which is being serviced or refuelled;
- Take your entire litter home with you;
- It is handy to have a bag or carton in your boot;
- At Service Points, do not crowd mechanics when they are working;
Camping is permitted on the oval – this year there are allocated areas for family, general, and “hardcore party goers”.
For more information and a complete list of rules or directions visit the rally website www.gallangowan.com.au.