Drink driver in strife over interlock order
A CONVICTED drink driver subject to an order requiring an interlock device be fitted to his car did the right thing and had one put in.
But the costly device, designed to allow the driver to start their car when no alcohol was detected, couldn't keep him out of trouble.
Ipswich Magistrates Court this week heard Errol Graham overlooked one vital thing.
When police found him behind the wheel of a car just before 2am, it wasn't the car with the interlock device fitted.
Errol Charles Graham, 52, from Tivoli, pleaded guilty to driving a vehicle that is not allowed under interlock conditions at Silkstone on September 8.
Prosecutor Sergeant Paul Caldwell said police were on late night patrols at 1.45am on Blackstone Rd when a Holden Commodore was spotted parked near an intersection with its engine running.
Officers spoke to the driver, with a check revealing Graham was subject to an interlock provision from September 2017 until December 2019.
He was required to have a device fitted for the first year of the order.
"There was no device. He says the device was attached to his ute," Sgt Caldwell said.
"He admitted driving it there."
Graham told the court it had been raining that night and he went out to buy mobile phone credit.
"My breathalyser is just about finished, on December 4," he said.
"It's only a year (for the device to be fitted)."
Graham said he believed the interlock provisions only went two years for drivers who did not install the device.
Magistrate Donna MacCallum told him to check with Queensland Transport.
Fining Graham $250, Ms MacCallum also disqualified him from holding or obtaining a licence for the mandatory minimum period of three months.