Don't leave rubbish on the footpath: council
GYMPIE residents are asked to not leave unwanted goods or other waste on the footpath and to take it to the Bonnick Road waste management facility, which is open its usual 8am-5pm operating hours.
Gympie Regional Council advises that all waste facilities are operating as usual. Operating hours are available online at www.gympie.qld.gov.au or via 1300 659 219.
Residents are advised to put their rubbish bins out on their usual collection days and contracted cleaning services will make collections as soon as they can.
Flood-impacted residents and business operators can call the Local Disaster Coordination Centre hotline on 5482 6399 seeking clean-up assistance, including the provision of skip bins in some instances.
Council advises people involved in the clean-up should wear protective clothing, wash their hands and feet, and ensure that any general use or household items which have come in contact with floodwaters are properly cleaned and disinfected.
For more clean-up and health information, visit council's website.
- Highway access is now open north and south of Gympie, with diversions in place south of Gympie via the Normanby Bridge, Mary Valley Road and Mary Valley Link Road. Caution required as road surfaces have deteriorated.
- Evacuation centres at the Gympie Civic Centre and The Pavilion, on the Southside, are closing today.
- Power is being restored to flood-affected properties where is it is safe to do so.
- Property owners who had their power disconnected are reminded that they require safety certification from a registered electrical contractor or electrician before power can be reconnected.
In an emergency:
- Call 000 in a life-threatening emergency
- Contact the SES Emergency Line on 13 2500 for assistance with damage.
- For flood-related information and assistance in the Gympie region, phone the Local Disaster Coordination Centre hotline on 5482 6399.
- To report flood-affected and damaged roads, call Gympie Regional Council on 1300 307 800.
- For road closure information, visit council's website at www.gympie.qld.gov.au or tune into your local ABC radio station.
- For main road closures and statewide travel information, call the Department of Main Roads travel service on 13 1940 or visit www.131940.qld.gov.au.
Weather and hydrology
- Weather warnings and forecasts - listen to your local ABC radio station or visit the Bureau of Meteorology website at www.bom.gov.au
- For flood height information, listen to local radio or contact the Bureau of Meteorology direct on 1300 659 219 or www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood
- Links to important updates are also available from council's website at www.gympie.qld.gov.au
- To report loss of supply, contact Energex on 13 62 62 or, for Kilkivan and surrounding areas, Ergon on 13 22 96.