Daniel's accused killer to seek bail
THE man accused of abducting and killing Daniel Morcombe will apply for his freedom in the next month.
Brett Peter Cowan did not have to appear when his case was mentioned in Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday but the 42-year-old man's lawyer, Tim Meehan, told reporters he would apply for bail soon.
Cowan was arrested last month on charges of murdering the 13-year-old Palmwoods boy (pictured), child stealing, deprivation of liberty, indecently treating a child and interfering with a corpse.
The Crown was yesterday given until the end of November to give Cowan's lawyers a full brief of evidence.
Prosecutor Glen Cash said the brief would be "fairly substantial" and asked the court if he could have until November 28 to hand the full brief over.
"There are 70-odd statements ready to be delivered to the defence this morning," Mr Cash said.
Magistrate Brian Hine granted the request and set another court mention date for December 12.
Cowan will appear via video link while in custody at the next mention if it is necessary.
Outside court, Mr Meehan told reporters he intended to apply for bail for his client in the Brisbane Supreme Court within the next few weeks.
He also expressed frustration about delays in receiving the Crown material.
Mr Meehan said his client was "doing well under the circumstances".
Cowan was charged after an almost eight-year investigation into the disappearance of Daniel, who vanished while waiting for a bus on Nambour Connection Road in 2003.
Since Cowan's arrest, police have found human remains at a search site at Glasshouse Mountains.
Forensic testing has confirmed they belong to Daniel.