Crash is chilling warning
A TRUCK fire which closed the Bruce Highway in central Queensland on Wednesday was yesterday described as “a chilling reminder” of the danger faced by Moy Pocket residents, as a result of plans to establish an explosives dump at the Moy Pocket quarry.
Mary Valley photographer and residents’ rights campaigner Arkin Mackay said two soldiers had been rescued from the blaze, which destroyed a truck initially thought to have been carrying explosives.
A B-Double and an Army truck towing a 20-tonne trailer collided and bust into flames on the highway, south of Rockhampton, the ABC reported.
Suspicions that the truck may have been carrying explosives led to a 1km exclusion zone being established around the crash.
Police later said this had not been the case but Ms Mackay said the precautions taken indicated the severity of the danger posed by trucks carrying explosives on the already crowded Moy Pocket Road.
“The facility (at the quarry), if approved, would store and dispatch high volumes of explosives around South-East Queensland, seemingly on a daily basis,” she said.
“The accident is not an isolated incident and should be brought to the attention of Gympie Regional councillors as they consider the application (for the dump).
“There are many reasons for this application to raise concerns, not least the quality of the roads between the Bruce Highway and the proposed facility location, near Kenilworth.
“Other concerns reinforced by the crash include the unavoidable risks of human and mechanical error in carrying explosives,” she said.