Clever firies save kitty
WHEN Gympie firefighters were called to rescue a scared kitten trapped in a drain, there was no mucking around.
The crew got straight down to business and "flushed" the kitty out with a fire hose.
A concerned resident called the fire station on Thursday after hearing the animal crying for several days.
Many attempts at rescuing the frightened kitten had been unsuccessful because it would be scared back into the pipe when approached by people.
It took firefighters just minutes to save the day.
The drain runs under the Bruce Hwy from outside KFC to a pit on the other side of the road.
When firefighters arrived, there were people in the pit trying to coax the kitten out of the pipe, so firefighters put a hose down the drain on the other side of the highway and gently flushed it out.
The concerned caller then bundled up the kitten and took it to Gympie RSPCA for care and re-homing.
A tiny kitten that crawled inside the front-wheel arch of a car somewhere between Perth and Sydney last week was rescued by NSW firefighters who removed a fender cover from the vehicle to free it.
And a cat owes its life to Seattle firefighters who rescued the feline from a condo complex fire.
After extinguishing the heavy flames inside a fourth floor apartment, firefighters found a cat dish and searched for the pet.
They found it barely conscious under a bed and used a pet oxygen mask to revive the cat and restore the pet's breathing.
- Gympie firefighters took the opportunity yesterday to remind residents to change their smoke alarm batteries.
- Queensland Fire and Rescue Service encourages residents to change their smoke alarm batteries on April 1, using April Fools Day as a good reminder to "not be a fool" and change the batteries every year.