Cigarette butts start grassfires
IT'S enough to make your blood boil - the sight of someone throwing a cigarette butt out of a car window.
Every year Queensland Fire and Rescue is called to hundreds of roadside fires believed to be caused by discarded butts.
A Cedar Pocket resident, who wished to remain anonymous, phoned The Gympie Times this week to say she had witnessed several cars throwing cigarette butts out car windows along Cedar Pocket Rd.
Just recently she had to put out a fire, which started in a pile of leaves beside the road.
Gympie Fire and Rescue has fought many grassfires along the region's roads and railway tracks, where the most likely cause was a dropped cigarette butt.
Firefighters called on the community to use commonsense and not flick cigarette butts out car windows.
While Queensland's recently implemented reporting system to "dob in a tosser" has a focus on litterbugs, it is advised to report the registration number of the offending car, from which the cigarette butt was thrown, by logging on to the EPA website.
Select Queensland from the map to see what the options are and a direct web link will send you to the right web page.