Candy Shop entertained patrons
Candy Shop entertained patrons Contributed

Charity guitar sells for $7000

GYMPIE'S night of nights, the SCIC Charity Gala Ball has been hailed the best ever after a magical night at the Gympie Civic Centre on Saturday.

The highlight of the night was the ceremonial handover of keys for Everson Lodge from Hotondo Homes Gympie owner Chris Dodt to Supporting Chemotherapy in Cooloola committee member Marlene Owen.

Mrs Owen said more than $30,000 was raised at the gala event and the funds would be used to put the finishing touches on Everson Lodge.

The long-awaited facility, designed to house cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, has been three years in the making for the dedicated group of SCIC volunteers and their generous sponsors.

The complex valued about $500,000 comprises five self-contained units, a common room and a caretaker's residence.

"The money will be used to furnish the units and landscape," Mrs Owen said.

President of the SCIC fundraising committee Alan Forman thanked everyone from the Gympie community for their generosity on the night.

He said the feedback he received was it was the best charity ball the group had held.

"The band was fantastic, the decorations, entertainment and food was great," Mr Forman said.

"Everyone was so generous, all the auction items went really well."

One of the biggest items sold on the night was a framed, signed U2 guitar. It went for $7000.

"Everyone dug deep to make the night successful," Mr Forman said.

"Everyone got dressed up, the women looked gorgeous, they went all out."

Fellow committee member and Mr Forman's wife Leah said the ball was the most successful in terms of community, business sponsorship and the donation of auction items.

"The generosity of business community was amazing. It was a great night, a good, good night."

Mrs Owen said Everson Lodge was set for a grand opening in about a month.

Gympie Times

WOOLOOGA FIRE: 'Five more minutes and my house was gone'

premium_icon WOOLOOGA FIRE: 'Five more minutes and my house was gone'

"About five more minutes and the house would have been gone.”

DAY 2: Bushfire wreaks more destruction on Woolooga

premium_icon DAY 2: Bushfire wreaks more destruction on Woolooga

Locals watched on in horror through Thursday.

Farmer hit fourth time by raging fire

premium_icon Farmer hit fourth time by raging fire

Woolooga farmer tells of the terror of the approaching fire

Local Partners