A six-year-old boy's death from a rare brain-eating amoeba sparked an urgent water warning in eight communities in the US state of Texas.

Josiah McIntyre died earlier this month, testing positive for Naegleria fowlers after playing at a public splash pad and a sprinkler at home in suburban Houston, officials and his family said.

Initial tests of the water supply came back negative - but another round of tests came back positive Friday from three locations, including a hydrant, the splash pad storage tank and a spigot at the boy's home.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality issued an urgent advisory warning people not to use tap water for any reason except to flush toilets.

While working to disinfect the whole system, officials lifted the "do not use water" advisory - saying it would be safe if boiled, and listing a series of safety protocols for showering or swimming.

RELATED: Man dies after an infection from pot plant turned his brain to 'liquid'

Josiah McIntyre died from a brain-eating amoeba. Picture: ABC16/Facebook
Josiah McIntyre died from a brain-eating amoeba. Picture: ABC16/Facebook

RELATED: Texas girl battles for life after contracting brain-eating amoeba

Naegleria fowlers is a free-living microscopic amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater that "can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain," according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The dead boy's mother, Maria Castillo, told ABC13 that she was "angry, upset, sad and heartbroken."

"He was an active little boy," she said of her baseball-obsessed son.

"He was a really good big brother. He just loved and cared about a lot of people," she said, saying that knowing how he contacted it "gives us peace of mind."

Ms Castillo suspected a viral infection, and decided to take her son to the Texas Children's Hospital where he was admitted to ICU.

She said that her son was tested for the flu, strep throat and COVID-19.

"They were treating him for meningitis, for encephalitis and pretty much at this point, just trying to figure out what was wrong with him," Ms Castillo told US news outlet The Facts.

It is still unclear how Josiah came into contact with the amoeba.

This article originally appeared on the New York Post and has been republished with permission

Originally published as Boy dies from deadly brain-eating amoeba

Josiah McIntyre pictured with his mother, Maria Castillo, and sister. Source: ABC16/Facebook. Picture: ABC16/Facebook
Josiah McIntyre pictured with his mother, Maria Castillo, and sister. Source: ABC16/Facebook. Picture: ABC16/Facebook


Teens rescued after near-drowning at Coast beach

Premium Content Teens rescued after near-drowning at Coast beach

Two teenagers were rushed to hospital after they nearly drowned

Qld borders reopen to all of NSW in shock decision

Premium Content Qld borders reopen to all of NSW in shock decision

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to open Qld borders to Greater Sydney within days

True cost of an education in Qld revealed

Premium Content True cost of an education in Qld revealed

Private, public, independent: Full breakdown of Aus education costs