Bali bomber gets 20 years

THE man responsible for making the bombs that claimed the lives of 202 people including 88 Australians in Bali will spend the next 20 years behind bars.

Umar Patek, 45, originally faced the death penalty for his role in the 2002 Bali bombings but the prosecution reviewed their position last month.

According to the ABC's Jakarta bureau, Chief Judge Encep Yuliardi said on Thursday night Patek was "legally and convincingly" guilty the charges against him including premeditated mass murder and providing assistance in the act of terrorism.

Patek's defence lawyers argued their client had tried to persuade the masterminds behind the bombings not go ahead with the attack once he learned the weapons he was handing over were destined to kill "bule" or white foreigners.

Known as the "Demolition Man", Patek was on the run up until four months before Osama Bin Laden was killed by US troops in May, 2011.

Heavy security surrounded Thursday's court proceedings.

The only Bali bomber yet to stand trial is the man known as Hambali.

He remains in prison in Guantanamo Bay due to alleged al-Qaeda links.



The 9yo who tips the scales at 180kg

premium_icon The 9yo who tips the scales at 180kg

THE secret extremes of the state’s obesity crisis have been exposed.

WHO STUFFED UP? CEO's Rattler pitch raises questions

premium_icon WHO STUFFED UP? CEO's Rattler pitch raises questions

State told heritage train "close to operational" early last year.

Drug and speeding drivers and a man with too many penalties

premium_icon Drug and speeding drivers and a man with too many penalties

Too fast, too much to answer for and drugs in the system

Local Partners