Baby burnt by 'hospital error'
A NEWBORN baby has been left scarred for life after intravenous antibiotics prescribed at Toowoomba Hospital caused horrific burns to her leg.
Shakerah Eastick was just two days old when an intravenous drip to administer antibiotics was incorrectly inserted into her right foot by a nurse in the special care nursery.
Instead of flowing through her body, the antibiotics attacked the flesh in her ankle, leaving it severely burnt and blistered.
While the wound is expected to heal, the scarring may last a lifetime.
Now two weeks old, Shakerah only this week was released from hospital after a lengthy stay in Brisbane where specialists were considering a skin graft.
That operation has been put on hold, but Shakerah must make weekly visits to specialists for ongoing treatment.
Shakerah's parents, David Eastick and Kassandra Dodd, have levelled the blame for their first child's severe injuries squarely at the Toowoomba Hospital.
They claim staff showed a “negligence of care” by not ensuring the intravenous drip was correctly administered before injecting the antibiotics.
“On our first visit, we noticed her leg was horribly swollen,” Mr Eastick said.
“The next day when we went back and saw the burns, it was just an absolute shock to our systems.
“I was devastated,” Ms Dodd said.
While Toowoomba Hospital has offered to pay for the weekly visits to Brisbane, Mr Eastick claimed the hospital had not taken responsibility for his daughter's injuries.
He said the family had been ostracised by staff when complaints were made about the treatment of Shakerah.
“This is not much consolation for the pain and anguish this has caused our family,” Mr Eastick said.
“From day one, they've just been making excuses and won't own up to what they've done.''
Toowoomba Hospital executive director and director medical services Dr Peter Bristow apologised to the family for the distress caused by the incident.
“Queensland Health is continuing to work closely with the patient's family to answer any questions they may have regarding their daughter's treatment,” he said.
“Unfortunately, an error did occur when a drip was placed in baby Shakerah's foot.
“Such complications unfortunately can sometimes happen, and Queensland Health is continuing to work to ensure that Shakerah has access to the best specialist care available to assist her in recovering as quickly as possible.”
“We are also revising systems to prevent a recurrence.”