Dark day at Wimbledon for Australia
THE day at Wimbledon started with a bright and sunny outlook but ended dark and gloomy.
It is the way the weather so typically goes at SW19, but it was surprisingly also the way of the five Australians in action on day two.
It is the first time in the Open era no Australian male won a single match in the men's draw at Wimbledon.
Only women's No.5 seed Sam Stosur, one of nine Aussies (five women, four men) to start in the Wimbledon singles survived the first round with her win on Monday night.
And finally, to top off the forgettable day, two Australian-born Brits - Laura Robson and Johanna Konta - also took an early exit.
Gold Coast's No.20 seed Bernard Tomic was unceremonious bundled out 3-6 6-3 6-4 6-4 by wildcard David Goffin of Belgium.
Former Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt showed little of his trademark fight, losing 6-3 6-4 6-4 to No.5 Jo Wilfriend Tsonga of France.
Perth's Matthew Ebden lost to Frenchman Benoit Paire 6-1 6-3 6-7 6-3.
Ipswich teenager Ashleigh Barty was outplayed by Italian 21-seed Roberta Vinci, going down 6-2 6-4 in one hour.
West Australian Casey Dellacqua put up little resistance in her 6-2 6-4 loss to No.9 seed and former finalist Marion Bartoli of France.
Tomic, who had a breakout run to the quarterfinal last year, was the biggest upset from the Australian camp.
Many experts had the 19-year-old coming up against No.2 Rafael Nadal in the quarterfinal.
"It's hard," Tomic said after the loss.
"You know, to see what you did last year and to lose first round is difficult.
"But, you know, there's a reason why I lost, I have to say.
"You know, I think I lost because he played much better and I wasn't playing the right tennis. No excuse."
The world No.28 will drop about 20 places in the rankings.
While he will remain in the top 50, Tomic believes this has been a wake-up call.
"On the way up I have been growing up playing and everything's got easy," he said.
"I've gotten to where I have won very easily. It's amazing.
"Now you let the foot off the pedal and it's costing you. It's something I'll learn.
"It's a good thing what's actually happened here. I'll wake up and get back to the way I was playing … I can relax and play good tennis and get back to that training mode to get me to the top 15, 20 at the end of the year even."
And for Hewitt, 31, there was no final farewell as he walked off Court 1 - his first Round 1 loss at Wimbledon since 2003 as defending champion.
"I don't know. At the moment I've been focusing on getting back this year, doing everything right with my foot and rehab to get back to here," he said.
"So I'm proud of myself of what I've been able to do, all the hard work it's taken to get here. I'd like to be back here, absolutely, but we'll have to wait and see."