UPDATE: Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley says the tournament will "continue on as normal" unless Victorian health authorities tell them otherwise, after being rocked by a COVID-19 scare.

Greece ATP Cup player Michail Pervolarakis last night revealed he had tested positive for COVID-19 in South Africa - five days after leaving Melbourne where he had been part of the ATP Cup and attended the Australian Open.

Pervolarakis tested negative to COVID-19 before leaving Melbourne and boarding a Qatar Airways flight to Doha on Tuesday night.

"He travelled to the Middle East and then in South Africa and after spending a day in South Africa, tested positive," Tiley told Channel 9.

"We were notified by him of that and we now leave it up to the health authorities.

"We provided them with all the information yesterday and while there is a link in the fact that he left here, five days ago, it will be up to the advice of the health authorities like we've done every day.

"We just provide the information to them, they provide advice and make decisions."

Tiley said there was a "fair bit of travel time" Pervolarakis spent in two "hotspots in the world" and the chance he became infected after leaving Melbourne was "fairly high".

As the tournament pushes on, Tiley said players were only travelling to Melbourne Park from their place of residence and returning home since a five-day statewide lockdown was put in place at 11.59pm on Friday.

 

EARLIER: Greece ATP Cup player Michail Pervolarakis has revealed he's tested positive for COVID-19 after travelling from Australia to South Africa.

He flew out of Melbourne Airport on February 9 - the same day a person infected with coronavirus worked at Brunetti cafe in Terminal 4, sparking the latest coronavirus lockdown.

The Herald Sun understands Pervolarakis was tested in Melbourne on Monday and received a negative result on Tuesday.

But Pervolarakis flew out of a different terminal on a Qatar Airways flight.

He flew out of Melbourne on Tuesday evening on a flight to Doha, stopping there before continuing to Johannesburg.

Greece’s Michail Pervolarakis during a press conference prior to the ATP CUP. Picture: Fiona Hamilton
Greece’s Michail Pervolarakis during a press conference prior to the ATP CUP. Picture: Fiona Hamilton

Tennis Australia confirmed to the Herald Sun that the 24-year-old tested negative for the coronavirus on February 9 before he left Melbourne.

The case has cast a shadow over the future of the Australian Open and last night the state government would not comment on the development when informed by the Sunday Herald Sun.

Pervolarakis's teammates in the ATP Cup included world No.6 Stefanos Tsitsipas, who is into the last 16 at the Australian Open.

In a late-night message on social media Pervolarakis posted: "After a 24-plus hour travel day from Australia to South Africa I've been diagnosed positive to COVID-19.

"I am completely asymptomatic at the moment and will have to quarantine in an isolation facility in Potchefstroom. He updated his Instagram a couple of hours later, saying: "Just to clarify a few things … got tested negative in Melbourne before leaving and the nurse said that I most likely got it on the plane or on my stop in Doha".

"I am not a person that complains but I feel that I need to express my disappointment with the conditions we are in."

A smiling Pervolarakis was photographed by the Herald Sun on February 1 with ATP teammates Stefanos Tsitsipas, Markos Kalovelonis and Petros Tsitsipas at Melbourne's Greek restaurant, Stalictites, in Lonsdale Street.

Pervolarakis' last match in Melbourne was on Friday, February 5.

He lost both of his singles matches against Australia's John Millman and Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta at Melbourne Park.

Tennis player Michail Pervolarakis announces he has tested positive to COVID-19 on Instagram.
Tennis player Michail Pervolarakis announces he has tested positive to COVID-19 on Instagram.

The Victorian Department of Health's website says the COVID-19 incubation time ranges from one to 14 days.

The virus has " a median incubation period of five to six days" the website says.

An infected person worked at Brunetti cafe in Melbourne Airport on February 9.

The cafe is listed on the Victorian Health Department's exposure sites website.

It has been declared a Tier 1 exposure site, meaning anyone who was there during the exposure period must get a test and isolate for 14 days.

The exposure time is listed as from 4.45am to 1.15pm on February 9.

It's feared many people could have been exposed to the virus at the airport that day before flying interstate and abroad.

Originally published as Aus Open rocked as player tests positive for COVID



PHOTOS: Pictures reveal lucky escape for caravan driver

Premium Content PHOTOS: Pictures reveal lucky escape for caravan driver

A man in his 50s was lucky to escape this mess with only minor injuries after a...

SHOCK: Council confirms fish kill discovery at Lake Alford

Premium Content SHOCK: Council confirms fish kill discovery at Lake Alford

Gympie Regional Council confirmed this morning it had received “multiple calls”...

One in hospital after motorbike crash in heart of Gympie

Premium Content One in hospital after motorbike crash in heart of Gympie

Paramedics were dispatched to the scene at about 10.38am.