• WHAT WE KNOW
  • The Mackay CBD was in lockdown for close to three hours after a man with a gun was reported in Victoria Street
  • Police officers, some in bullet proof vests, gathered at the makeshift command post on the corner of Gregory St and Victoria St.
  • An exclusion zone was declared as of 5.45pm between the boundary of River St and Wood St, Wood St and Gordon St, Gordon St to Macalister St and Macalister St to River St.

LATEST:  Detectives have charged a man with weapons and explosives offences after he allegedly sparked the lockdown of the Mackay CBD on Wednesday night.

Around 5.20pm police were called to a disturbance near a  licenced premises in Gregory Street and shortly after an emergency declaration was made.

Police arrested a 29-year-old Sarina man without incident around 8pm and revoked the declaration at 12.40am.

The man has been charged with one count each of going armed to cause fear, dangerous conduct with a weapon, common assault, unlawful possession of a weapon used to commit an indictable offence and authority required to possess explosives.

He has been denied police bail and remanded in custody to appear in the Mackay Magistrates Court on Thursday morning.

Investigations continue with further charges likely.

Police said no one was physically injured during the incident.

UPDATE, 8.01pm: Mackay Police Detective Inspector Brendan Smith has confirmed an armed man has surrendered himself "peacefully" to police, ending a three-hour stand-off in Mackay's city centre.

"The gentleman has just surrendered, obviously this is a great result for police," Det Insp Smith said. 

Police will scour the crime scene for clues and assess the situation before deciding their next move. 

The man will be taken to Mackay Base Hospital.

The public are still urged to stay away from the area as police establish a crime scene.

 

UPDATE, 7.55pm: Police have started escorting people from Mackay's CBD in small groups, despite negotiations with an armed man ongoing.

Earlier: POLICE are tonight still negotiating with an armed man on Gregory St and are speaking to his parents to glean a possible motive as the Mackay CBD remains in lockdown.

There has been no threats against any other person. 

Detective Inspector Brendan Smith said the man, who is known to police, is in possession of a number of long arms. 

"A number of shots were fired earlier in the day," he said. 

Det Insp Smith said it is possible that was part of the man's plan to draw police into the city. 

"No other person is at risk," he said. 

"We ask the public not to come down to the CBD of Mackay.

"We ask people who are inside the buildings for their patience at this stage.

"We've got a number of resources on scene and some of those are negotiators."

Det Insp Smith said police are fairly confident of a peaceful outcome. 

 

 

An exclusion zone has been declared as of 5.45pm between the boundary of River St and Wood St, Wood St and Gordon St, Gordon St to Macalister St and Macalister St to River St.

A man who was evacuated from a shop on Victoria Street said he saw a man with a rifle in his hand and another on his back.

"He fired one shot into the air at the front as he was crossing from the strip joint," he said.

"He hung around the front of night owl for five minutes then made his way back down to behind Gregory St."

"We have just been evacuated from Haven (the gaming store)."

 

 

Photographer at the scene, Stuart Quinn, reports the man had his hands up in the air within the last five minutes, with what appears to be a wooden handled rifle with a scope attached lying nearby.

Police have pushed back members of the media and others in the area several blocks.

The man had been sitting on a car with the rifle.

Stuart believes police have blocked off from Hot Wok on Macalister Street to Wood Street, from River Street to Gordon Street.

 

 

UPDATE, 5.55pm: 

Vehicles are being diverted away from Gregory St as police continue to deal with an armed man in the Mackay CBD. 

Victoria St has been shut and businesses on Wood St have been notified. 

BREAKING: Police have locked down the Mackay CBD as they negotiate with a man armed with a gun.

An exclusion zone has been declared as of 5.45pm between the boundary of River St and Wood St, Wood St and Gordon St, Gordon St to Macalister St and Macalister St to River St.

 

Man with Firearm
Man with Firearm Daily Mercury

 

A Queensland Police spokesman said officers were called to Gregory St near Wilkies to reports of a man with a firearm about 5.10pm on Wednesday.

There are no reports of injuries, but the spokesman said the man was pointing the firearm at himself.

Residents are asked to avoid the streets between Macalister St and Victoria St.



UPDATE: Crews patrol as Fraser Island fire enters day 19

UPDATE: Crews patrol as Fraser Island fire enters day 19

QPWS rangers are currently managing the fire with QFES

Man’s ‘missing teeth’ lead to vicious dog bowl assault

premium_icon Man’s ‘missing teeth’ lead to vicious dog bowl assault

The 67-year-old bystander told victim she ‘deserved’ vicious attack in front of her...

Compo call for couple hit by huge wildlife corridor loss

premium_icon Compo call for couple hit by huge wildlife corridor loss

It is the Gympie councils’ responsibility to bring planners to heel on issues where...