No bail for man over axe attacks
THE 54-year-old man who allegedly attacked an elderly man with an axe in the Bundaberg Lawn Cemetery on Saturday morning has been denied bail.
Kenan Demirci, of Avenell Heights, did not enter a plea to attempted murder when he appeared in Bundaberg Magistrates Court Monday morning.
Demirci, a man of average height with grey hair and a well-kept moustache, sat stoically in the docks as the bail application proceeded and did not react when Magistrate Jennifer Batts denied the application.
The accused, dressed in a brown prison jumper, blue pants and blue socks, remained handcuffed throughout proceedings.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Jason Toddman told the court the 74-year-old man Demirci allegedly attacked was left with major skull damage with skull fragments lodged in the man's head.
Sgt Toddman also handed up a series of documents explaining why police objected to Demirci receiving bail.
As Magistrate Jennifer Batts read the documents, a relative of Demirci began to loudly sob and as she was being escorted from the court room, the woman collapsed.
Ms Batts adjourned the court for a short period so the woman could leave and it could be determined whether she needed medical assistance.
Demirci calmly sat and watched as the woman was escorted from the court room.
Defence lawyer Rian Dwyer said Demirci was a Turkish national who cared for his disabled son.
Mr Dwyer said Demirci had been at the cemetery to visit the grave of his son who had died two months earlier.
He said Demirci had no intention of contacting the alleged victim
"They know each other but instructs they don't want to have anything to do with them," he said.
Mr Dwyer said Demirci had indicated he planned to fight the charge.
Ms Batts denied the bail application as she deemed Demirci an unacceptable risk to reoffend.
The matter is expected to return to court on June 1.