Survivors mark 11th anniversary of Bali Bombings
IN SYDNEY'S own piece of paradise, survivors of the 2002 Bali Bombings were joined by grieving families and dignitaries as they marked the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attack at the weekend.
The memorial, which overlooks Coogee Beach, honours the 88 Australians, including the 22 from Sydney's eastern suburbs, who lost their lives in the western tourist haven of Kuta.
Kirsty McKeon, who was celebrating the end of a family holiday on the night of the attack, told of how she remembered being trapped under a burning roof and escaping through a hole.
She and her injured father were flown home but her mother and sister were lost.
In a statement read on behalf of Prime Minister Tony Abbott, he described the Bali bombing as Australia's September 11 and said the blooming of flowers at the memorial in the parliamentary gardens was a fitting reminder that "bringing good from evil is the best way to honour the memory of those who we lost".
In the lead up to the anniversary earlier last week, Mr Abbott announced victims of the attack were eligible for up to $75,000 in compensation.