Firies save Channon St house that exploded into flames
GOOD luck combined with good management has saved a significant Channon St home, which exploded into flames yesterday.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Gympie station officer Matt Phillips was effusive in his praise for fire fighters on the scene, who managed to confine major damage to the room where fire broke out, around 9am.
"I can't say enough about them," he said of fire crews from two appliances which were quickly on the scene.
"They worked quickly on the fire and contained it to the front bedroom.
"The ceiling was extremely damaged in the bedroom, but structurally the building is quite sound," he said.
"There is extensive smoke damage but this is generally repairable," he said.
Mr Phillips said the fire was well underway when firies arrived, with thick black smoke coming from the eaves.
"I've just spoken to the fire investigators and they say it seems to have started in an air-conditioning unit in the main bedroom.
"The lady there was lucky it happened when she was awake.
"She says she was in another room and heard an explosion before noticing smoke from her bedroom.
"She was in the kitchen, which was lucky," he said.
The woman was able to leave the house, two down from the Monkland St intersection with Channon St and was assisted by neighbours.
As smoke billowed from the burning house, an ambulance crew arrived, along with fire fighters and police, who took over traffic control.
Police signalled to drivers to slow down as they entered the smoke affected area and cordoned off the section of lane at the front of the house.
Fire fighters with breathing equipment took turns to enter the house and fight the flames, while others recovered from the effects of heat, hosed down by colleagues.