Beware of deadly brown snakes
EVEN to the most avid snake lover it’s a chilling thought.
Just a day after the Rogers’ little grandson and pet dog wandered about their Inglewood Hill home, Peter Rogers found a dead two metre brown snake at the foot of their back steps.
About 8am yesterday, Mr Rogers was heading out to his yard when he was stopped in his tracks by the formidable and highly venomous specimen.
“I saw his tail, where he was curled up under a bush,” he said. “I said to my wife, ‘you’d better come and have a look at this’.”
Mr Rogers said neighbours had talked about big brown snakes they’d seen along the nearby railway tracks for years but this one appeared to break local records at least.
“It’s close to the biggest snake I’ve ever seen,” he said.
How it died is a mystery and the snake appeared to have no obvious marks on it.
“If people think living in town they don’t have to worry about snakes, they should think again,” he warned.
The incident follows the death of a 61-year-old Toowoomba woman who died on Tuesday night after being bitten several times by a brown snake at her Nobby property.
The retired veterinarian was taken by ambulance to Toowoomba Hospital on Thursday last week with multiple bites from a brown snake. An autopsy will be undertaken to confirm the cause of death.