Australians in South Sudan urged to leave immediately
AUSTRALIAN citizens in South Sudan are being urged to leave immediately while commercial options are available.
The security situation in South Sudan is exceptionally volatile after fighting broke out in the South Sudanese capital Juba earlier in the week and while reports indicate calm in the capital, fighting is escalating in other parts of the country.
Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop said on Sunday (Dec 22) she was aware there are a number of Australians who remain in South Sudan.
"I have not received any reports from local authorities of any Australians being injured as a result of the violence," she said.
"A number of Australian nationals have departed the country and I strongly recommend that remaining Australians make urgent plans to leave as soon as possible.
"The international airport in Juba is open and a number of commercial options to depart are available.
"If it is not safe to depart the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade recommends that you take precautions, stay indoors in a safe location and ensure sufficient stocks of food and water.
DFAT has updated its travel advice three times since December 16 and advises Australians not to travel to South Sudan.
Australians in South Sudan requiring assistance should contact the Australian High Commission in Nairobi on +254 204 277 100 or the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305.