News

Lithium battery warning: ‘Treat them like poison’

A GYMPIE district boy has survived suspected lithium battery poisoning, after being airlifted to Brisbane for emergency treatment, a hospital spokeswoman said yesterday.

The boy, 4, was flown out of Gympie Hospital, his mother by his side, on Monday night, after possibly swallowing a lithium button battery.

He was taken to Brisbane's Lady Cilento Children's Hospital, where a spokesman said the batteries were capable of causing life-threatening internal injuries, if swallowed.

A Tewantin girl, also four, died almost two years ago in Noosa Hospital after a similar incident.

The Gympie Times reported at the time that doctors had been unable to save the girl, who had suffered severe stomach bleeding.

Gympie Regional Council health portfolio councillor and Gympie ambulance chief Wayne Sachs says batteries need to be treated like poison
Gympie Regional Council health portfolio councillor and Gympie ambulance chief Wayne Sachs says batteries need to be treated like poison Renee Pilcher

"PARENTS need to treat them like any other household poison and keep them well out of reach of children," he said.

Potentially fatal damage can begin within an hour.

They are only the size of lollies, Cr Sachs said yesterday.

"People need to be careful, especially if they notice a battery is missing from a device.

"They are very dangerous, some are easily swallowed and they can be fatal.

"Parents need to take all the same precautions that they would with any poison and keep them well out of reach of children."

A spokeswoman at Lady Cilento yesterday said the Gympie boy was now in a stable condition and was recovering.

New Zealand authorities issued a warning in 2013, soon after the Noosa Hospital tragedy, that parents did not have the luxury of simply waiting for the battery to pass, "because it's a two-hour timeframe before it actually starts to cause damage."

They said that at that time, about 20 children suffered serious internal damage every year as a result of battery ingestion.

In the US, authorities warned of electrical and chemical burns.

"If caught in the throat, the batteries send an electrical current through the tissue, eventually burning a hole in the trachea or oesophagus," according to a medical warning in the US Journal of Paediatrics.

The batteries, which are often also contained in car keys and even greeting cards, pose what has been called an invisible threat, with many parents saying they have not heard of any warnings.

American experience indicates most cases involve batteries out of remote control devices. In June 2003, four year old Tewantin girl Summer Steer died from stomach bleeding after swallowing a battery that morning.

The Gympie Times reported at the time that the batteries can be difficult to detect on an x-ray because they look like a button. It was important for parents to let doctors know that the child may have swallowed a battery.

Susan Teerds from Kidsafe Queensland said at the time of Summer Steer's death that saliva would start a chemical reaction that would burn a hole in flesh, even through to vital parts like the aorta or the spine.

Toys usually had safeguards to prevent batteries from falling out, but TV remotes and car keys were less likely to have these safeguards.

Battery poisoning

  • Effect: Ingestion can cause electrical or chemical burns in the throat, which sometimes prove fatal
  • Need for speed: Damage, potentially fatal, begins within two hours
  • First aid: Contact Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26, do not let child eat or drink, do not induce vomiting
Gympie Times

Topics:  child safety gympie hospital



How to survive a bushfire in your car

IT SOUNDS like a nightmare, but it can happen.

Eight reasons to join the RFS

SPREAD across 93% of Queensland, the Rural Fire Service has about 36,000 volunteers. And you could be one of them.

What if my insurer gives me grief?

CLAIMING your insurance cover after a natural disaster can go one of two ways. It can be a breeze, or like pulling teeth.

Mixed emotions on Mary Valley mining prospects

BLACK GOLD: Dark seams of manganese ore in a road cutting at Mooloo are part of the ore body under exploration between Amamoor and Eel Creek.

Mine exploration between Amamoor and The Palms to resume in New Year

'Robin Hood' fears delay decision on archery park

Concerns over a \"Robin Hood\" type accident have led council to delay voting on an archery park at Wilsons Pocket.

Fears of a "Robin Hood" type accident have delayed archery park vote

Southside plan shapes up following feedback

Part of the structure plan for Southside.

The council has welcomed feedback on the Southside structure plan.

Local Partners

Devastating hailstorms cost Mary Valley farmer $500,000

ROB Price and his wife are just two of many who are devastated by hailstorms last week.


Kernaghan's a 'boy from the bush' with a timeless quality

Country music singer Lee Kernaghan.

Lee Kernaghan is celebrating the 25th year of his breakthrough song.

PARTY TIME: Two huge nights of Christmas on Mary

IN THE MOOD: Jade Alexis dressed up for a Mary Christmas on December 14 and 21.

Mary St keeps up its new Christmas night shopping tradition

All your entertainment needs sorted for this weekend

ROCK ON: Travis Collins will be at the Royal Hotel to promote his new album on Friday night

Don't let the bad weather chase away a good time.

WATCH: The young Aussie actor playing Barack Obama

A screenshot of the trailer for Barry, a new film from Netflix.

Aussie teen nails Obama's early university years

Boy George named as a coach on The Voice Australia

Iconic pop star Boy George is to appear as a coach on 'The Voice'

The first Baywatch trailer is here, and it's hilarious

From left, Jon Bass, Alex Daddario, Zac Efron, Dwayne Johnson, Kelly Rohrbach, and Ilfenesh Hadera in a scene from the movie Baywatch.

DWAYNE Johnson and Zac Efron star in TV series reboot.

Sir Mick Jagger a dad again at 73

Mick Jagger... dad again at 73

Ageing rocker obviously still getting Satisfaction

Doco tells the story of Aussie surfboard pioneers

Gordon Woods (far right) in a 1966 ad for his surf shop. He is the subject of a documentary about the Brookvale Mafia airing on Foxtel.

THE Brookvale six were united in the love of their craft.

Ipswich City Properties asset portfolio retains its value

Ipswich City Council Administration Building, South Street, Ipswich. Photo: Claudia Baxter / The Queensland Times

New website launched by Ipswich City Council

INSIDE STORY: The highlights of your $150 million CBD

GRAND PLAN: The highlights of the Ipswich CBD redevelopment and where they will be located.

Work on city heart's radical transformation to begin next year

VOTE IN OUR POLL: Sand mine opponents face serious dilemma

Public meeting for the proposed sand mine at Maroochydore last week.

Coast MP calls on Minister to stop KRA proposal with stroke of a pen

Developer's grand new multi-million dollar estate

NEW ESTATE: This is the only plan revealed by the property developer's new Billabongs Estate in Agnes Water.

DEVELOPER given the go ahead for a massive estate with 149 homes.

Couple's desperate $550K price drop to sell Gladstone home

Brian Headley and Kirstene Staib are selling their Kin Kora mansion for $750,000.

TELL tale sign of Gladstone's property market.

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!