Hunger striker transferred to Australia 'temporarily'

AN asylum seeker who has been on a hunger strike for almost 50 days has been transferred to Australia to undergo urgent medical attention.

There were reports earlier this week of the man, who is believed to be Iranian, being hospitalised in Nauru, prompting Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young to call on Immigration Minister Chris Bowen to intervene.

The Department of Immigration confirmed after 5pm on Friday that the man had been transferred to Australia "temporarily" because his condition had deteriorated to a point where he could not be treated on Nauru.

A department spokesman would not provide further details about whether the man had ingested any food or specifics about his medical condition.

The decision was based on a recommendation by the department's health services provider, International Health and Medical Services.

As soon as he is deemed fit to travel the man will be returned to the processing centre on Nauru.

Meanwhile, a second group of asylum seekers, including 12 children, has been transferred to the regional processing centre on Manus Island.

The department said the transfer was made up entirely of eight families from Sri Lanka and Iran and included 16 adults and the children.

They arrived in Papua New Guinea early on Friday.

The selection of this group was based on "operational considerations and an assessment of their particular circumstances", the department said.

Topics:  hunger strike manus island nauru

Drug driving: back pain and sentence negotiations

A flowering cannabis plant. File Photo.

Man in court for using marijuana for pain four days before driving

Hoo8Hoo hitting all the right notes

PERFECT HARMONY: Brothers Tim (left) and Sam Aitken, aka Hoo8Hoo, will be hitting the Gympie stage on Sunday afternoon for the Rush Festival concert.

Brothers Tim and Sam Aitken will be taking to the stage as Hoo8Hoo.

Hartwig questions need for sewerage restructure

Councillor Glen Hartwig.

Letter to the editor: Gympie Cr Glen Hartwig raises more concerns

Local Partners

Australian Survivor's magician Matt out of tricks

Australian Survivor contestant Matt Tarrant.

SHOW'S power couple looks unstoppable in race to the finish.

Top floor teams take out The Block's terrace week

Kim and Chris pictured on their winning outdoor terrace in a scene from The Block.

RIVALS Kim and Chris and Julia and Sasha tie in final week of work.

Bob Dylan slammed as 'arrogant' for Nobel silence

Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan.

Singer the controversial winner of literature Nobel

Shannen Doherty reveals fear of dying in post on chemo

Actor Shannen Doherty shared this image of her lying in a hospital bed after a chemotherapy session.

Actor has been fighting cancer since 2015

Eddie Redmayne's stage fright on latest Harry Potter film

Actor Eddie Redmayne stars in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Actor felt like kid again when he got to film with a wand

Salma Hayek: 'Trump planted story because I turned him down'

Actor Salma Hayek is the latest woman who says U.S presidential nominee Donald Trump acted inappropriately.

Salma Hayek latest woman to accuse Trump of misconduct

Hinterland horse stud passed in for $8.25 million

UNREAL: This Maleny estate is incredible.

12-bedroom hinterland horse stud still available

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

What our mayor thinks of the new draft SEQPlan

The plan to use the innovative technology as part of the new Maroochydore CBD was cemented on site today when Mayor Mark Jamieson and Envac Asia Region president Chun Yong Ha formally signed the contract for the $20 million underground waste collection system.

New plan accommodates Sunshine Coast Council's vision for growth.