News

Dead man wins compo

A DEAD man's family has been awarded $35,000 in a landmark Australian case for injuries he suffered in a home invasion.

Justice Margaret Wilson, of the Queensland Supreme Court, said it appeared to be the first time compensation had been awarded after the injured person had died.

"Research by the applicant's solicitor and by my associate failed to find any decided case in which the victim of crime died before his or her application for criminal compensation was heard," Justice Wilson said.

She said she was satisfied the case for compensation could proceed and awarded damages to the Public Trustee on behalf of the dead man, Shane Warren.

In May 2007, Rikki Lee Kaye and Jason Mark Warren broke into Mr Warren's Pialba home armed with a knife and a mini samurai sword.

Mr Warren was stabbed six times in the thorax, left shoulder and left armpit.

Two of Mr Warren's ribs were broken and both his lungs collapsed during the attack by Warren, his natural brother, and Kaye, his brother by adoption.

Mr Warren survived the attack, only to die of unrelated causes on June 9, 2011.

On April 9, 2009, Warren and Kaye were jailed for six years.

A victim's statement by Mr Warren submitted later that year said: "I hear and see it every day and night, it replays through my mind.

"I've lost my family, my de facto and my daughter, out of fear."

Mr Warren's attackers were ordered to pay the entire sum.

Topics:  compensation, crime, home invasion, stabbing




Search continues for alleged attacker

Police and health minister condemn violence

Agricultural industries face serious threat: Perrett

Gympie MP Tony Perrett.

Perrett slams government move against property owners

Fined for saving staghorn

Man takes staghorn from Booloumba Falls, ends up in court

Latest deals and offers

Matilda The Musical's clean sweep at Helpmann Awards

A scene from Matilda The Musical.

TIM Minchin-scored production enjoys record awards haul.

Harry's MasterChef exit makes way for all-Noosa grand final

Harry Foster congratulates MasterChef finalists Elena Duggan and Matt Sinclair after a closely-fought semi-final.

YOUNG Rocky-born cook now working in his dream job in Tasmania.

Kim Kardashian West bemused by selfie 'drama'

Kim didn't expect her naked selfie to cause the stir it did

Alicia Vikander hasn't been home since Oscars

Alicia Vikander "hasn't been home" for nearly nine months.

Tom Hiddleston not worried about relationship attention

Attention doesn't bother 'authentic' Hiddleston

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field to expand family?

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field want more children.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles