News

Court reporting jobs could be sent overseas

Speaking after the meeting, Mr Wellington said he “cannot believe” the jobs would not be kept within the state.
Speaking after the meeting, Mr Wellington said he “cannot believe” the jobs would not be kept within the state. Cade Mooney

UP TO 205 Queensland court reporting jobs could be moved interstate or overseas as the government prepares to outsource the roles to the top bidder.

It was a revelation uncovered by Sunshine Coast member for Nicklin Peter Wellington during a Parliamentary legal committee held on Wednesday morning.

Mr Wellington quizzed the Department of Justice and Attorney-General director of reporting Joanne Bugden on the tender process.

He was told the tender process would be open to all companies to bid for the contract to transcribe Queensland court cases.

This could potentially include businesses from interstate or overseas.

Speaking after the meeting, Mr Wellington said he "cannot believe" the jobs would not be kept within the state.

"I just think it's unbelievable that in 2012, this service has the potential to be outsourced to someone overseas," he said.

"I think it's wrong."

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie said most government tenders were open to firms both out of state and out of country.

He said any application would be rigorously checked and the tender awarded to the most suitable company.

The winner will be in charge of monitoring, recording and transcribing all Queensland court proceedings.

Mr Wellington said the decision "floored" him.

"If this government has gone down the road with these tender documents where we see a company from outside Queensland and Australia operating this service - I think Queenslanders would be appalled.

"By crikey we need jobs for Queenslanders."

Mr Wellington said he understood the court reporters would be out of work from the end of May next year.

The successful firm will be named after applications close on January 7.

Topics:  court, jarrod bleijie, peter wellington




Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Mother speaks out after daughter attacked at school

Gympie mother Melanie Couzner is concerned about violence in schools after a mobile phone was used to capture footage of her daughter being attacked by two students at school.

A Gympie mother is worried after her daughter was attacked at school

Lettuce turnip the beet

FEAST FOR THE EYES: A junior gardener exhibit from last year’s Gympie Show. Organisers are putting the call out for more entries this year following sponsorship support from Gympie businesses.

Show Fruit and Vege Section committee members call for entries.

Latest deals and offers

Hendra

Carol Backhouse from Backhouse train is advocting the Hendra virus vaccine after a...

Golf

Golf Pennents team win Virginia Reid, Kate Sawrey, Keryn Jessen, Karen Mills, Carol...

Rattler

Mayor Mick Curran and councillor James Cochrane and Garry Davison with some good...

Gympie trumps Fraser Coast in new housing developments

The scorecard is out - Gympie has come up trumps compared to Wide Bay in terms of new housing development.

Gympie trumps Fraser Coast in new housing developments

Demand for acreage lots pushes up property prices

Property values in Cooroy have increased 25%

Property values jump in Cooroy and Peachester.

How a sacked real estate agent made $725k in four months

Agent is now under investigation by the industry watchdog