News

Contractors queried over Jason’s electrocution

Jason Garrels, 20, died after being electrocuted while working on a building site in Clermont in February 2012.
Jason Garrels, 20, died after being electrocuted while working on a building site in Clermont in February 2012. Contributed

A YOUNG man who was electrocuted at a building site told his Gympie mother he'd received a shock at work days before his death.

A Coronial Inquest into Jason's 2012 death yesterday heard the 20-year-old said he told his "big boss" about the incident.

However Daytona Trading director Gary Labuschewski, Jason's employer, yesterday said he had "no recollection" of Jason telling him about it.

Mr Labuschewski, who said he had about 35 years in the building industry, was the principal builder for the large residential development in Clermont, 274km south-west of Mackay, consisting of 81 buildings. He had subcontracted the electrical work to his "distant" brother-in-law Nathan Day, who was the director of Cold Spark Pty Ltd.

Despite being questioned about Mr Day's lack of experience working on a building site or taking on a project this large, Mr Labuschewski repeatedly described him as a "qualified electrician".

The court was told Mr Day received his orders about what areas of the development needed power from Mr Labuschewski.

Construction wires were lying on the ground and ran from the main switchboard to 10 temporary switchboards around the site, which Mr Labuschewski said he was aware of.

"Didn't your 30-odd years of experience suggest... that having cabling lying on the ground on a building site wasn't safe?" barrister Andrew Herbert, for Workplace Health and Safety, asked.

Mr Labuschewski said he deemed it to be "similar to electrical leads" before admitting "I guess it wasn't safe".

The court was told the industry standard for temporary wires was that they be buried 500mm in the ground. Mr Labuschewski said Mr Day told him there was "no standard" when it came to temporary wires and said he took his word for it.

Mr Day had been required by WHS inspectors to bury the cabling.

Jason had been moving a temporary switchboard while another co-worker backfilled the trenches when he was electrocuted.

 

Work site deemed 'disgusting'

CONTRACTORS described the level of safety at the Clermont building site where Jason Garrels was electrocuted as "poor and disgusting".

Daytona Trading was the principal builder for the residential development on MacDonald Flat Rd where the 20-year-old died in February, 2012.

When the company's director Gary Labuschewski was asked yesterday during a coronial inquest into Jason's death specifically about safety on site, he said he couldn't comment.

Mr Labuschewski also told the court he had not informed the building industry regulator, the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC and formerly the BSA), about the electrocution.

Asked why he hadn't brought Jason Garrels' death to the QBCC'S attention after the incident occurred, Mr Labuschewski responded with, "I've got no answer to that."

Gympie Times

Topics:  coronial inquest, jason garrels




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

3 easy dinner recipes your kids will love, and so will you

No Caption

THERE is a middle ground! Dinners fit for kids and adults.

How to reduce your child's risk of food allergies

ABOUT 90% of food allergies are caused by just seven foods.

5 good mental health habits for kids (and parents)

CRYING OUT FOR HELP: The demand for counselling support for children and young people is increasing.

FORMING good habits early is critical for your child's mental health.

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Susie O'Neill: Why I stopped smacking my children

Swimming legend Susie O'Neill says she has stopped smacking her kids.

“I (smacked) because that’s what I knew growing up."

Introducing a step-parent into the family

Introducing a step-parent into the family can be stressful for the children, as well as the new parent.

THERE is no easy way to introduce a step parent into the family.

Our cancer patients have been left behind

Marlene Owen at the SCIC chemo units in Gympie.

THIS is a story about two cancer patients.

More space for Gympie netballers to park

New parking spaces have been created at the Gympie netball courts to deal with growing numbers of Gympie netball players.

"The parking has just been getting out of hand.”

Latest deals and offers

Is this state’s cheapest house?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward

Rockhampton property in a lull, but a change is coming

Rockhampton's housing market in "pre-election mode"

Gympie's housing market beefed up and "very active"

“The market is very, very active."